Friday, May 8, 2009

Who is in charge here?

"She made me feel horrible."
"He made me so mad."
"My mother-in-law puts me over the edge."
"When he talks to me like that I just get so angry."

I'm sure you too have heard your share of these comments. In fact, you may have been the one to have said it. It's easy to do. We are all human and it's a human reaction to get hurt or angry at someone's behavior or choices. The question then becomes, why do we do it?

We do it because we won't know any better. We do it because we don't have a better skill set to deal with the situation. The best part about it all is that we can choose something different. Even if we don't know what to do, we know that yelling or getting out of control does not work, so we can choose something different.

No one, and I repeat, NO ONE chooses how you feel. No one makes you mad. No one can make you cry. No one gets you so angry so you loose your temper. The positive side of this is true too. You can choose to be happy. You can choose to speak calmly. You can choose to not spank your child. You can choose to be compassionate and kind.

The only person who has full complete control is YOU. You choose how you are reacting to another persons behavior and the situations around you. No one is in charge of your emotions or behaviors except you. You are in charge.

Start today. Take responsibility for yourself. Make the better choice.


-------------------------
Email us at ContinualCare@gmail.com
to share your story.

No comments: